From dust to dust, we leave only footprints
We care for the environment, and we take care of our home. We clean up after ourselves; we leave nothing behind; we leave no trace we were there. From dust to dust, we leave only footprints.
- Bring your own cup and bowl. Disposable cups, plates and cutlery are one of the biggest sources of trash at festivals. Burners make sure they always have an easy-to-carry cup with them to use anywhere, any time. Be responsible for your cup and keep it clean
- Avoid packaging. Remove all excess packaging from everything you buy(food, supplies, tools) before you pack it. Not bringing packaging is one of the best ways to avoid creating rubbish at Nowhere. Compostable containers are better; re-usable containers are best.
- Bring Bin Bags. Ensure you pack bin bags for trash and recycling. Sort your trash and recycling for drop-off at allocated sites on your way homeLeave No Trace does not end when you hit the pavement. Do not dump your trash anywhere in neighbouring communities that is not a designated trash or recycling site
- Leave space for trash in your car. Ensure you leave space for trash and recycling in your vehicle. You will be responsible for taking it to the allocated waste disposal sites. If taking the bus or car share riding ensure you have a way of taking your refuse with you, or that you have organised with your Barrio to assist you in taking it to an allocated site
- Do a sweep of your tent area: If you are with a Barrio, do a line sweep of your camp with your camp mates making sure you cover the whole area, and picking up every single piece of MOOP. Nothing is too small. If it wasn’t there before you arrived, it must not be there when you leave.
- Don’t bring glass. Do not bring glass containers of any kind – they can shatter. Metal bottles and plates are better
- Don’t bring loose glitter & feather boas. Items such are impossible to recover and contaminate fragile desert ecosystems. We repeat: do not bring glitter or feathers
- Never let MOOP (Matter Out Of Place) hit the ground. Clean as you go. MOOP attracts more MOOP. When you see trash on the ground, pick it up and take it with you – you won’t see it later as layers of dust accumulate.
- Chinese Lanterns
- Never, ever drop butts. Help keep cigarette butts from being one of the top MOOP items. Buy or make a portable ashtray (a mint tin, for instance) to collect your cigarette butts and ashes